If you have recently purchased a new phone and are scratching your head about how to connect Apple Watch to your new phone, fret not. This is a common concern for many, but the process is easier than you might think. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through each step, ensuring a smooth transition.
MIKI Yoshihito, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Table of Contents
First and foremost, you need to ensure that both your new phone and your Apple Watch are updated to their latest respective operating systems.
Keeping your devices updated ensures compatibility and allows for a seamless connection between the two. Make sure your new phone is running the latest version of iOS and your Apple Watch is updated to the newest version of watchOS.
Source: Apple Software Update
1. Unpair Apple Watch from Old Phone
Before you can proceed to pair your Apple Watch with your new phone, you need to unpair it from your old phone. This step is crucial as it frees up your Apple Watch to connect with another device. Here’s how you go about it:
- Open the ‘Watch’ app on your old iPhone.
- Go to the ‘My Watch’ tab and then select your Apple Watch.
- Tap the information button next to your watch. This usually appears as a small “i” in a circle.
- Select ‘Unpair Apple Watch’ and confirm. You might also be prompted to enter your Apple ID for verification.
For more articles like this click here – How To Fix Apple Watch Issues: A Comprehensive Guide
Connect Apple Watch to New Phone
Here’s how to connect apple watch to a new phone …
2. Turn Off Activation Lock
Once the unpairing process is complete, ensure the Activation Lock feature is disabled on your old phone. This is a security feature that prevents unauthorized use of your Apple Watch:
- Go into iCloud settings on your old iPhone.
- Locate your Apple Watch under ‘My Devices’ and remove it to turn off Activation Lock.
Source: Apple Support
3. Open the Apple Watch App on New Phone
On your new iPhone, locate the Apple Watch app. This app comes pre-installed on all iPhones and is essential for pairing and managing your Apple Watch. Open the app to begin the pairing process.
4. Start Pairing
In the Apple Watch app on your new phone, you’ll see an option that says ‘Start Pairing’. Tap this to initiate the pairing process. Your phone will then search for your Apple Watch and, upon finding it, will display a message asking you to set it up.
5. Backup and Restore
After initiating the pairing process, you’ll be presented with two options: setting up your Apple Watch as a new device or restoring it from a backup. Both options have their merits and drawbacks, so let’s delve into each one to help you make an informed decision.
Setting Up as a New Device
If you choose to set up your Apple Watch as a new device, all the settings will be restored to their defaults, and you’ll lose all saved data from the previous device. This option is ideal if:
- You’re using an Apple Watch for the first time.
- You want to start fresh without any previous data.
- You’ve faced issues with your Apple Watch and want to eliminate the possibility of old settings causing problems.
Restoring from a Backup
If you have important data such as health metrics, app settings, or custom watch faces that you wish to retain, it’s advisable to restore your Apple Watch from a backup. Here’s how you can do it:
- Ensure your old iPhone and Apple Watch are backed up to iCloud. If not, go to ‘Settings’ on your old iPhone, tap on your Apple ID, then iCloud, and finally, iCloud Backup. Tap ‘Back Up Now’.
- When you reach the ‘Apps & Data’ screen on your new iPhone during the initial setup, tap ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’.
- Select the most recent backup that includes your Apple Watch data.
- Proceed with the setup. Your new iPhone will now restore all data, including your Apple Watch settings and data.
6. Sync and Wait
After choosing your preferred setup method, your Apple Watch will begin the syncing process with your new phone.
This can take several minutes, so it’s crucial to be patient. Once the sync is complete, your Apple Watch will be successfully connected to your new phone, and you’re all set to go!
Conclusion: How to Connect Apple Watch to Your New Phone
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to connect Apple Watch to your new phone. By following these steps meticulously, you can ensure that the transition is smooth and hassle-free.